Professional accomplishments & responsibilities
Sports Editor, Beeville Bee-Picayune (July 2014 to current)
- Responsible for managing all aspects of the sports department at a twice weekly newspaper that provides coverage of three high schools in Bee County, Texas. Duties include page design, copy editing, special section design and editing, feature stories, graphics and photography.
- Assist with sports coverage, freelance scheduling and photography at seven other weekly newspapers in the publishing group on an as-needed basis.
- Assist news department with copy editing and page design on as-needed basis.
- First place, National Newspaper Association 2019 Better Newspaper Editorial Contest, sports photo
- First place, Texas Gulf Coast Press Association 2019 Better Newspaper Contest, sports photos
- First place, Texas Gulf Coast Press Association 2018 Better Newspaper Contest, sports coverage
- First place, Texas Press Association 2017 Better Newspaper Contest, sports photos
- First place, Texas Gulf Coast Press Association 2016 Better Newspaper Contest, sports photos
- First place, Texas Press Association 2015 Better Newspaper Contest, column writing
Sports Editor, Roswell Daily Record (Jan. 2010 to July 2014)
- Responsible for managing all aspects of the sports department at a daily newspaper with a circulation of approximately 11,000, including story assignments, employee scheduling, freelance scheduling, page design, copy editing, special section design and editing, feature stories, game stories, graphics, and website maintenance and content management.
- Regularly assisted composing department with preparing printing plates; Assisted news department on an as-needed basis with page design and feature writing.
- First place, West Texas Press Association 2014 Better Newspaper Contest, feature writing.
- First place, West Texas Press Association 2013 Better Newspaper Contest, column writing.
Sports Reporter, Roswell Daily Record (Aug. 2009 to Jan. 2010)
- Served as beat reporter for high school football, covering eight area teams in 11-man, 8-man and 6-man football. Weekly features included game preview stories and informational capsules, game stories and area roundup.
- Responsible for page design on a weekly basis, website content management and sports graphics. Assisted in the implementation of the company’s website redesign.
Director of Media Relations, Continental Indoor Football League (Feb. 2007 to Aug. 2009)
- Served as the spokesperson for a 7-on-7 professional indoor football league based in Canton, Ohio. Duties included preparing league press releases, managing content on the league website, scheduling interviews for the league president and commissioner, designing the league’s annual media guide, managing the league office and serving as a league representative at games.
- Designed and implemented the CIFL Radio Network, an online radio network that provided play-by-play coverage of the league’s games as well as weekly recap and preview shows. Served as the play-by-play voice for the 2007 and 2008 league championship games and served as the in-studio host for the league’s weekly talk show.
Sports Reporter, The Press-News (Aug. 2003 to Aug. 2009)
- Responsible for producing copy and designing pages for an all-local weekly section that served as the primary media outlet for three small communities in Stark County, Ohio. Coverage included numerous athletic teams at three high schools, as well as community athletics and events. Assisted news department on an as-needed basis with coverage of local events and page design.
- Four-time award winner for overall sports coverage at the Ohio Newspaper Association’s Osman C. Hooper Newspaper Show.
Valuable technical skills
- Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Bridge, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe/Macromedia Dreamweaver, Quark XPress, NewsEdit Pro, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, digital photography, website design and maintenance, website content management systems, HTML, CSS
Personal interests and hobbies
- Avid golfer and former golf coach
- Co-founder of the Gage Knight Foundation, a registered 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to the fight against childhood cancer
- Former co-chairperson for the Minerva Area Relay for Life
July 2014 to current
Sports Editor, Beeville Bee-Picayune (Beeville, Texas)
Jan. 2010 to July 2014
Sports Editor, Roswell Daily Record (Roswell, N.M.)
Aug. 2009 to Jan. 2010
Sports Reporter, Roswell Daily Record (Roswell, N.M.)
Feb. 2007 to Aug. 2009
Director of Media Relations, Continental Indoor Football League (Canton, Ohio)
Aug. 2003 to Aug. 2009
Sports Reporter, The Press-News (Waynesburg, Ohio)
Sept. 2002 to July 2003
Diploma in Broadcast Technique, Ohio Center for Broadcasting (Valley View, Ohio)
Sept. 2001 to May 2002
Pre-journalism & mass communications major, Kent State University (Kent, Ohio)
Aug. 1988 to June 2001
Diploma in College Preparatory Studies, Minerva Local School District (Minerva, Ohio)